Thursday, April 17, 2014

S'more Cookies in a Jar

I went searching online for a recipe using peeps in a cookie recipe.  I have previously made a chunky chocolate version of this for shower prizes.  I found a Pinterest post at this blog. Go here to see the original   I don't have the machine she uses that cuts shapes, so I built mine from clipart which you are welcome to use.  On another post this morning, someone mentioned the waltograph font.  I downloaded it for free from www.dafont.com.    The recipe at  Michelle's website in the link above does not use any flour or other dry cookie ingredients.  Since the chunky chocolate cookies are a given, I decided to go with what I know works.

I didn't want to give the young adults coming for Easter a lot more candy.  But, I thought that they'd like to make these cookies sometime, and there IS candy in them.  

My cookies use cake mixes.  I am using quart size jars, so  I measured exactly and they use 1 cup + 1/3 cup + 1/2 cup of the cake mix.  I replaced the 1/2 cup of cake mix in the above recipe with crushed graham crackers.  I could only find pink peep bunnies.
Below is the photo from the above web site to give you a visual image of the jar.




Here are the jars I made with their labels (recipes) on them.   Since I made twelve of them, I am going to give you the amounts of ingredients I used.  In the post I got the idea from, she had her peeps at the bottom of the jar and used eight.  I put my peeps at the top of the jar and only used six.

  • I used one quart jars. I put 1/2 cup of Nestle chocolate chunks (11.5 ox bag) bottom of each jar.  It only took two bags to fill up the 12 jars.
  •   I used 5 boxes  of cake mix for 12 jars.  (2 boxes will do 5 jars).
  • I put 1/2 cup M & M's in next.  1 large bag filled 4 jars.  I used 3 bags.
  • I crushed up 1/2 cup of graham crackers (not finely) and used three sleeves.
  • I put 1/2 cup brown sugar in next.  One box filled 8 jars.  I used 1 1/2 boxes.
  • I put 6 peep rabbits in next.  They come 12 to a box.  I used 6 boxes.
  • I filled the space in the middle of the peeps with 1/2 cup chocolate chips. The bag was 11.5 oz.  One bag filled 4 jars.  I used 3 bags.   
 I  am giving mine to my daughters, nieces, and nephews.   I wish I had known ahead of time to buy the fabric squares.  But my jars are going inside insulated lunch sacks I got the kids.  Very practical.  Last year I gave them candy inside Tervis Tumblers.  They're all ready for a picnic or beach trip now.  I'm ready for a trip myself.  At least it's stopped snowing on the East Coast and they're not calling for rain this weekend.  I told the kids that if they didn't want to search for eggs, I'd give them each a square of Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.  They could hunt for finger prints.  The person with the dirtiest square would win a prize.  One of my nieces actually thought this was a good idea.  Ha ha.  

No comments: