Monday, April 29, 2019

Backyard Games

LOBSTER TOSS

I have been creating games for parties for over 20 years.  I have a stockpile of game props
in my basement that adapt to different themes.  I thought I would start you off with the
simple props that you could use in the above photo.  I have a basic stock pot (inexpensive).  I also have a basic metal trash can.  Both of these are easily obtainable targets.  To make a game, you need only two basic ideas.  A target + projectile thrower/what you are throwing.  In the above case I used a grabber and stuffed lobsters.



I had a camping themed party.  Before I found plumbing pieces I could weigh down with
cement and add PVC poles to, I used heavy pots.  Here are some foam core bears with
holes cut in them.  I learned through the years, that I can enlarge patterns by converting images to Adobe PDFs.  This is a choice given to you in your printer options.  Who knew?
Once your image is a PDF, it comes with it's own grab bar of options.  One of those options is print size.  Choose the poster and an enlargement percentage.  It will print your option
in multiple pages that you can glue together.  OR... put the image on a portable drive and take it to Office Depot to enlarge.  I cut the pattern out onto fun foam and glue it to backboards.  Those science boards work well as does wall insulation.  Yes!  Wall insulatin panels.

The projectile above was a Nerf ball shooter with balls.  


CARNIVAL GAMES


I have occasionally used backboards for directions and props to add to the themes.
If I am having table games, I like to have wooden boxes to help contain the items being tossed.  I have used wooden trays, etc. for this.  An old window from, minus the glass, provides a target that I have used MANY times. The middle game that bouncy dinosaurs banks.  I stuck cardboard targets in the slots.  The projectiles were potato pellets made from a toy potato gun, found easily online.  I also have a collection of toy buzzers found online.  I used them for quiz games in the classroom, but mounted on a board, they became great noisy (which kids love) targets.  I opened some stuffed frogs and added beans to them--to make them heavier.


SHEEP HOOP TOSS



Ring tosses are more fun if the targets are adorable.  In this French countryside themed party,  The farmer stands by his sheep.  I order oversize stuffed animals from Melissa and Doug on Amazon. I loved putting them behind my tiny fence.  Next to them was one of my collies and a goose in a wagon.  I have a collection of different sized rings from small diving rings (my favorites) to large plastic ones.  At the holidays, I bring out my big stuffed deer.  Their antlers make great targets.


FEED SALMON TO THE BEARS

I love my oil pan target.  I attached it to an easel with hook and loop tape.  I also velcroed curtain rings to it.  I printed out salmon to add to the theme.  The kids loved it.
I used my swimming rings to toss onto the rings.


Baby pools make GREAT targets.  They are inexpensive and easy to store.  You can adapt them to so many themes.  For this game I used white plastic balls I bought online.  I also used my stuffed salmon fish in them.  I bought inexpensive children's sized plastic shovels and buckets for the contestants to move the balls back and for with.  The polar bears set the salmon fishing game theme.



Here's the red bucket I mentioned above.  My raccoons are guarding it.  I bought the green rubber rings online, and have been using them as targets in many ways.  I have hung them on ladders, from small flag poles, etc.  I used stuffed food to toss into the trash can.  You could use plastic children's food also.  I bought my stuffed food on Etsy.  It has gone to quite a few parties.



Here are three of my over-sized animals behind a pen (which is actually a plastic shoe rack).  I got matching stuffed babies for guests to toss into the pens.  It was fun, but difficult.


Here are the rubber rings on the ladder.  I have pvc bow and arrows that I bring out for different themes.





I found rubber boats and kayaks make great game pieces.  Here are two office party goers using the nerf ball shooters while on a MOVING raft shooting a golf chipping targets.
Yes, golf targets are portable, have nets, and POCKETS.  Hubby and I built a wooden base on wheels (or you could use dolleys) to do this.  It is still talked about in office lore.





I found this tent camper online.  I knew I needed it for a prop.  Here is Santa at the campground with a few of his dogs. The target is a raised dog bowl stand.  The projectiles are rubber bones.  You can search from projectiles on Amazon is the pet toy section.  I LOVE this section.



I buys small squares of wood and put 2 lengths of industrial strength Velcro on the bottoms of each.   If you have a slide-able surface, you can push these with brooms or mops, etc.  I glue stuffed animals on them.  Here is my skunk family.  I have also used bobble heads and prairie dogs.   People never get tired of shuffleboard.


Not all of my stuffed targets are large.  Since I do a lot of woodland themed parties,
I have owls, foxes, deer, bear, beavers, and possums.  In this easy target game I just used a tin bucket and plastic twigs (dog toys) to "feed the animals."  



When their not being used as targets, they are also being used as props.



                                  
In the above photo collage of a Moana party I designed, You can see the window used as a game and my corn hole game used with bean bag stuffed fish.  I also made a huge stand-on Moana bingo board.  I have lots of stuffed parrots I use as game pieces and props. I cut up strips of plastic tablecloths to ruffle for the headbands.



                                   In the above photo, the target is these stuffed and wood trees.  I ordered stuffed axes on Etsy (yes I did)!  You can see how I've reused my stuffed animals for props.  I actually gave this fabulous small table away.  It was a big mistake.  But I have replaced it with foldable
step stools that are easier to store.


                                  
Above you can see the step stool holding a tray of stuffed/plush shrimp.  They are just the right size to use with my snowball throwing catapult (Amazon).  You can also see the plastic kayak I used for the salmon tossing game, along with the rubber ring attached to a flag pole on top of my red trash can.  I used a pool noodle as the buoy.  Of course I have a full sized stuffed seal on the bouy.  My water rugs are new.  I LOVE them.

                      

Even better than a hand held catapult (snowball shooter) is a STOMPING one.  I finally
figured out how to make this.  If you want the directions, go to my post on catapult.
I acquired most of the superhero bean bags that were available online for my Super Hero party.  Well, most superheros DO fly.  But, it is fun to watch any stuffed animal fly.

                         

Here are backboards I painted for a carnival game party.  On the left is a spinning target I bought on Etsy.  I used it with my rubber band guns.  Next to it are the dragons which we
tossed rings over.  Third is one of my basket boats.  I found these adorable round stuffed fish in a toy section of Target.  Last was my fling the rubber frogs game, using a net tied up with a rubber band to make it shallower.

I bring games to the beach.  I threw a mini "Olypmics."  I divided my daughter's friends into two groups to compete against each other.  I used my nerf ball shooter for one of the games.  I brought two small tubs and foam water shooters for a relay game.  I used my three person rope skis for a race.  I brought along my corn hole game.  The twenty somethings had fun.
BAZOOKA AIR BLOWERS KNOCKING OVER COWS


                                  

Whamo has air blasters.  I bought these on Amazon.  Then I made cardboard standup cows from pizza boxes to blow over.  It was actually a very popular game.





No comments: