Friday, May 18, 2012

Cardstock Boat for Nautical Party





I was looking and looking and looking for a pattern on the web for a boat I could make with cardstock.  After 3 days I gave up.  I wanted a favor boat for a Nautical Baby Shower I am planning.  Because dish towels make nice favors, along with small pads of paper, or lotions, I couldn't use the paper folding origami box.

I am going to use the origami box for small treats.  See previous AHOY, It's a Boy blog.

I have been folding paper to make a boat for days.  Lots of trial and error to get the above result.  I only had gray cardstock, so you have to imagine it in a fun pattern with a sail added.  You can save it to file, enlarge to 8.5" x 11" and print.  


Directions:

  • The top of the image is actually the BACK of the boat.  Take a ruler and fold down along the horizonal line 2" from the top of the page.
  • With the ruler, fold along inward along all 4 vertical lines. The middle triangle makes the bottom of the boat.
  • Make two small cuts along the back of the boat on the darker vertical lines.  These two small boxes make the flaps that you will glue to make the back of the boat.
  • Once you have the back glued, face it towards you and fold down or inside of the boat along the outside (now top) diagonal lines.
  • Finally, just secure front small sides with double sided tape or hot glue to make the front of the boat.  The bottom was already pre-creased in an earlier step.
  • To make a sail, glue a small piece of styrofoam to the bottom of the boat. Stick a small dowel or wooden skewer upright in the styrofoam for the mast.  Cut another skewer to 7" and tape horizontally to the bottom of the sail. (see third picture above).
  • Print out the following sail on 8.5" x 11" paper.  Fit to size your boat.
  • Below is the pattern for the boxes I put in each boat.  I put a favor treat and the napkin in each box.  Go to my new blog titled "Ahoy, It's A Boy Shower Photos."

No comments: