Saturday, July 6, 2013

Strawberry Shortcake

This is Emily.  She is 1.7 years old.  I am not pinning this, but since I have so few followers, I thought you'd enjoy seeing her eating the strawberry shortcakes I made for the Fourth of July.  I ordered  16 ounce tubs from Amazon.com with lids. 

 


I baked two white cake mixes in my industrial sized cookie sheet pan.  I cut them into squares and placed them into the tubs the day before with their lids on to seal in the freshness.  I hulled  four big containers of strawberries with one of my acrylic straws. (I saw this on Pinterest.)  I sliced each one into four pieces and layered them with sugar in a large tupperware container.  I did this on the morning of the Fourth of July and put it into the cooler.  Then I whipped up 2 cups of cream with 2 Tablespoons of instant vanilla pudding powder and 2 Tablespoons of confectionery sugar.  I put this into another tupperware container and into the cooler.  When I opened all of the tubs at the picnic to assemble them, the crowd spontaneously yelled, "DESSERT FIRST."  
                
 My daughter Annie's friends asked if we could PLEASE do this again when we go to the beach in September.  Since we saved all of the tubs, it will be no problem to do it again.
 

Photo by Kristin Blair

 

No comments: