Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Safari Roulette and Beach Theme Placemats


     In a previous post, I gave directions on how to make your own placemats by putting graphics and/or photos to 12" x 18" clear plastic envelopes.  While planning a Safari baby shower, I came up with the idea of playing safari roulette (previous post) using online/phone spinner apps.  I wanted to enlarge the boards, but didn't want to bother my architect husband to print them off at work.  I was also making beach themed ones for our trip to the beach for my daughter's birthday.  She is inviting friends over all week, and I wanted something special.  
     So yesterday, I pulled out some yellow cardstock I had.  I landscaped two pieces to fit across the bottom of the envelope.  I taped them together on the back and glued the overlaps together on the front.

This gave me the sand.  I did the same with white cardstock for the roulette board.
For the blue, I used just one landscaped piece cut in half the narrow way, then taped/glued together.   I found the cutest airplane graphic that resembled those carrying flags at the beach.  I changed the wording to say "Happy Birthday, Annie."  I found the sandcastle, beach chair, and umbrella clipart and enlarged them to fit on my "beach."
I think they are so cute.
       Then I wondered today if I could fit all the Safari pieces into the envelope.  You can see from the photo above that I did.   I printed out each animal's box in a 3" tall by 4" wide box.  The phone app only allows for 10 sections on the spinner.  I matched the colors of the boxes to the colors on the spinners.  The words Safari Roulette are in an 8" wide by 3" tall box.  The column signs are each 4" wide by 1/2" tall.  The row signs are each 3" tall by 1/2" wide.
         I am making four of the roulette placemats for the baby shower.  I am making 12 of the beach placemats for the birthday beach bash.    I hope my guests enjoy using them as much as I had fun making them.

No comments: